Mary Berry’s goat’s cheese and shallot tart – adapted as a Thermomix recipe
This slight twist on the classic caramelized onion and goat’s cheese tart is really quick and easy and makes a tasty treat.
It is absolutely delicious served as a starter with a simple salad or on a picnic to impress friends.
Creamy goats cheese and sweet shallots, baked on top of a shortcrust pastry – there’s a good reason this tart has remained a classic in pubs and restaurants up and down the country for the past few decades. It’s a very simple and extremely tasty combination. Quite simply put, a stunning pairing.
Active time: 10 minutes – Total time: 50 minutes
- 30g walnuts
- 150g plain flour
- 75 unsalted butter, as chilled as possible
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g iced water
- 500g shallots, peeled
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 300g soft goats cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat your oven to 200C
- Make the pastry: place walnuts in mixing bowl. Chop for 5 seconds / speed 5.
- Add all the other pastry ingredients. Mix for 20 seconds / speed 4. Remove pastry from mixing bowl, form a ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate until needed.
- Give the mixing bowl a quick rinse.
- Add 500g shallots to the mixing bowl. Chop for 10 seconds / speed 5. Scrape down the side.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil and cook for 3 minutes / 100C / speed 1.
- Cook for the further 10 minutes / 75C / reverse speed low.
- Add 2tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1tbsp light muscovado sugar and cook for 15 minutes / 75C / reverse speed low without measuring cup.
- Set aside to cool.
- Add 300g goats cheese, 2 eggs, 2 tbsp chopped parsley and salt & pepper to taste to the mixing bowl. Mix for 10 seconds / speed 3.
- Roll out the chilled pastry to the thickness of a pound coin on a lightly floured work surface, then use to line the tart tin. Prick the base here and there with a fork. Spoon the shallot mixture into the pastry case, pour the goats cheese mixture over it.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and the filling is just set and golden.
- Serve warm or cold.
Delicious. Bon appetit x