Aww sausage rolls, the perfect treat for any occasion from snacks to canapes with a drink – it’s not a party without a good sausage roll! – or make them a bit bigger and serve them for an easy dinner with a simple salad!
They are so versatile too, add your favourite herbs or dried fruit, and totally transform the flavours.
Once you’ve had a go and tasted a home-made sausage roll, you will never go back to a shop bought one again.
They can be cooked well in advance, frozen then defrosted and warmed through when needed.
Makes about 16
Active time: 10 minutes – Total time: 25 minutes
- olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- About 10 sage leaves
- 15ml olive oil
- 400g sausage meat
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- 250 g ready-made puff pastry
- 50g grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 free-range egg
- Ground pepper
- Add one red onion, halved, one garlic clove and 1 tbsp Dijon mustard to the mixing bowl. Chop for 5 seconds / speed 5. Scrape down the sides.
- Add 400g sausage meat, 10 sage leaves, 2 pinches of nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste. Mix for 10 seconds / speed 5.
- Cut pastry sheets in half lengthways into 2 long rectangles.
- Divide the meat mixture between each pastry strip and spread out in the middle.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese (optional).
- Roll and cut each strip into mini sausage rolls.
- Space each sausage roll out on a baking tray. Brush with egg wash and top with ground pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown
Delicious. Bon appetit x