Chakchouka – A Tunisian dish of tomatoes, onions, peppers, spices, and eggs. With or without a Thermomix
Traditionally eaten for breakfast in North Africa, this spicy and colourful pepper, onions and tomato stew with eggs baked on top make a lovely and very healthy dinner or an impressive dinner party dish.
This is a very easy recipe but don’t be fooled, the flavours are amazing and very rich.
Before you start, note that ideally your peppers and tomatoes will need to be peeled. I personally use this tomato peeler.
Serve with a crusty bread or pitta bread to sponge off the sauce, couscous or even rice. I also sometimes serve it with merguez sausages.
* To ensure Momo & the Gang remains completely free to use, this post may contain affiliate links.
Can be frozen
Active time: 7 minutes – Total time: 53 minutes – cost: £7.15
- 2 garlic cloves – £0.10
- 1 onion – £0.10
- 1 tbsp olive oil – £0.03
- 2 red peppers – £1.00
- 2 green peppers – £1.00
- 2 yellow peppers – £1.00
- 6 tomatoes – £1.08
- 1 tsp caster sugar – £0.05
- 2 tbsp tomato paste – £0.05
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder – £0.05
- 1 tsp cumin – £0.03
- 1 tsp paprika – £0.03
- 1 tsp ground coriander – £0.03
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot)
- 100g feta cheese (optional) – £0.70
- 4 eggs – £0.55
- Some coriander to serve – £0.35
- Add one onion, halved and 2 garlic cloves to the mixing bowl. Chop for 5 seconds / speed 5. Scrape down the sides.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and cook for 3 minutes / 100C / speed 1.
- Ideally peel the peppers (this is the peeler I use), before slicing them. Add the slices to the bowl. Cook for 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse speed low.
- Preheat your oven to 170C.
- Ideally peel the tomatoes with a tomato peeler (this is the one I use), cut them in 4, scoops the seeds out and add the seedless tomatoes to the bowl with 1 heaped tsp caster sugar, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tsp mild chilli powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground coriander and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook for 25 minutes / 100C / Reverse speed low.
- Pour the vegetables in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Crack in 4 eggs. Bake in the oven for 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with a crusty bread or pitta bread to sponge off the sauce, couscous or even rice. I also sometimes serve it with merguez sausages.
To Freeze: after step 5, let cool down and freeze. Once defrosted, proceed to step 6.
Delicious. Bon appetit x