Chakchouka – A Tunisian dish of tomatoes, onions, peppers, spices and eggs. With or without a Thermomix
Traditionally eaten for breakfast in North Africa, this spicy and colourful pepper, onions and tomato stew with eggs baked on top make an lovely and very healthy dinner or an impressive dinner party dish.
This is a very easy recipe but don’t be fooled, the flavours are amazing and very rich.
Before you start, note that ideally your peppers and tomatoes will need to be peeled. I personally use this tomato peeler.
Serve with a crusty bread or pitta bread to sponge off the sauce, couscous or even rice. I also sometimes serve it with merguez sausages.
Can be frozen
Active time: 7 minutes – Total time: 53 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot)
- 100g feta cheese (optional)
- 4 eggs
- Some coriander to serve
- Add one onion, halved and 2 garlic cloves to the mixing bowl. Chop for 5 seconds / speed 5. Scrape down the sides.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and cook for 3 minutes / 100C / speed 1.
- Ideally peel the peppers (this is the peeler I use), before slicing them. Add the slices to the bowl. Cook for 20 minutes / 100C / Reverse speed low.
- Preheat your oven to 170C.
- Ideally peel the tomatoes with a tomato peeler (this is the one I use), cut them in 4, scoops the seeds out and add the seedless tomatoes to the bowl with 1 heaped tsp caster sugar, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tsp mild chilli powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground coriander and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook for 25 minutes / 100C / Reverse speed low.
- Pour the vegetables in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Crack in 4 eggs. Bake in the oven for 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with a crusty bread or pitta bread to sponge off the sauce, couscous or even rice. I also sometimes serve it with merguez sausages.
To Freeze: after step 5, let cool down and freeze. Once defrosted, proceed to step 6.
Delicious. Bon appetit x