French yoghurt cake – with or without a Thermomix. 5 ingredients / 5 minutes active time. Simply the easiest cake in the world!
This is quite possibly the easiest cake in the world. If you’re a new to baking or straight out of a packet type baker, then this is for you. Never again will you reach for pre-prepared cake mix, once you’ve given this recipe a go.
In France, this is the cake of choice for grandmothers teaching the basics of baking to their grandchildren.
Not only can it be thrown together in minutes, it is also a wonderfully moist, super delicious and ultra fluffy, because of the yoghurt.
The proper recipe uses yoghurt pots (small Activia type) to measure up all the ingredients. As it’s more difficult to buy small pots of plain yoghurt here in the UK, I have converted the recipe into grams for you.
Some add fresh raspberries or a hint of lemon to their batter – once you’ve mastered the basic recipe below, the possibilities are endless.
Can be frozen
For gluten free, replace plain flour by buckwheat
Active time: 5 minutes – Total time: 40 minutes
- 160g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 80g sunflower oil
- 125g plain or Greek yoghurt
- 160g self raising flour
Optional: zest of one lemon or one orange / a tsp vanilla essence / fresh raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Add 160g brown sugar and 2 eggs to the mixing bowl. Mix for 15 seconds / speed 4.
- Add 80g sunflower oil, 125g plain yoghurt, 160g self raising flour (as well as your optional ingredients). Mix for 30 seconds / speed 4
- Bake for 35 minutes @ 180C (check with a clean knife if the cake is cooked)
Delicious. Bon appetit x